Saturday, April 16, 2011

106/365 How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time. * * * I've been throwing a tantrum like 2 year old in my head. "I don't wanna! I don't wanna!" I kept working on trying to catch up, but more kept coming. So, I let it pile up. Now it has to be dealt with. Grades are due, emails need responses, Spanish club needs plans, laundry needs done, dishes washed, trash taken out, pictures posted, ...etc. etc. These are normal everyday things, I know. I have no excuses. I just let myself get overwhelmed and now I can't get motivated to do any of it. It all just seems pointless and like I'm living in the movie "Groundhogs Day". Tomorrow there will be more grading and cleaning to be done, people who need or want something, more students flinging germ-X in my eye and "f bombs" dropped (happened yesterday. Just an example of their everyday stupidity and mine). When it gets like this I have to remind myself to break it down into small manageable pieces, like eating an elephant. Grade one paper at a time instead of staring at the whole bag full and screaming "I don't wanna".

2 comments:

  1. Yep. It's nuts, isn't it? I have the same problem- I keep letting it pile up and wham- it hits me and then I almost have a breakdown because I've let it go on too long.
    Just remember- this photo thing is for fun and if you have to skip a few, so be it. Nobody said that 365 had to be consecutive...
    As far as grading...throw some of it out! Tests, no, quizzes, no, but homework- yes! We do not have to give a grade on every single paper that students turn in.
    Just reminding you...I know you know this already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the elephants were as small as that little guy. I could probably eat him in two bites. Keep working on that big pile and give me a call when you're overwhelmed. I'm nibbling at my elephant over here too.

    xoxopaige

    ReplyDelete